“…there also are a couple of moments between the crime-fighting pair that will leave fans pretty happy — particularly the one when Castle and Beckett are trapped in close confines and she makes a heartfelt confession after a major revelation about Josh. This pair will be the death of me…”—Entertainment Weekly Reporter on the Two-Part episode of Castle (via fuckyeahcastleandbeckett)
My (extensive) thoughts on Knockdown. Because I'm bored and have no life.
Firstly, if you haven’t seen Knockdown yet, you should probably stop reading, because you probably won’t find anything more spoilery than this. Oh and there’s a little bit of minor swearing here and there. Ooops.
So now you’ve been warned.
So yeah, in reality I know that no one will probably read this (except for maybe Anna, just so she can make fun of me for writing it), but I was thinking that it was time to re-watch Knockdown (especially with Lucky Stiff still being so far away) and I thought that it would be fun to document my every thought while I watched it lol. Seriously, I’m not joking about that. It’s a freaking massive inane ramble about my thoughts which is probably taking up your entire dash. And I’m posting it here, because, well this is a blog, and as such it is where you post stuff. I guess.
Anyway, here goes.
· Even the first second of this ep is exciting. Everytime I hear Stana’s voice doing the intro statement (“Previously, on Castle….”) I want to flail. Lol
· And the recap at the start. It’s just epic. All the stuff with her mother’s killer and all those moments that we (or at least I) practically know by heart. You know I actually realized once it was done that I’d been holding my breath the whole time. Pure epicness.
· The opening scene with Raglan and the gun gets me really annoyed. I just want to shout at him for being a coward (I’m not saying that suicide is cowardly, I’m talking about how he’s going to kill himself without telling Beckett the truth) and just in general, the scene is really frustrating.
· And now Beckett’s doing chin ups. Fairly effortless chin-ups too. In that amazing apartment. Seriously, could she get more awesome? Honestly, I am completely straight, but I’m not blind. I can appreciate Stana/Beckett’s looks and awesomeness as well as any man.
· Watching her on the phone with Raglan is epic. She barely moves, and for a lot of the time she’s just listening but her face is so full of expression. Amazing.
· And then she shows up at Castle’s door and I just want to flail some more. I like the fact that he seems to be holding an IPad, because it feels a little bit like a product plug lol. Anyways, back to the fact that she goes to Castle. Omg. Metting Raglan about her mother is HUGE for her, and who does she choose to take with her? Castle. Of course, he said no cops, so maybe she would have taken Ryan or Esposito if she could have. But really, I still think she would have chosen Castle. *sighs happily*
· “He’s someone I trust.” One of my favourite lines, EVER. And Castle gives her this look, it’s adorable, and then he looks at Raglan as if to say “Damn right I am. And if you hurt her, I kill you.” He’s just pure adorableness, even more so when he’s being serious I think.
· And then Beckett tries to get down to business, but freaking Raglan just decides to ignore her question and goes on about drinking coffee out of a mug and other stupid things. Beckett, impressively, manages to keep her professional face on (Castle’s looking at Raglan like he’s a little insane) but seriously, if I were an extra in this scene, I’d probably get fired for hitting Raglan over the back of the head and telling him to get to the goddamn point. Coz that’s definitely what I wanted to do while watching it.
· So now we know he’s dying, and, being the heartless bitch I am lol, I’m pretty pleased about it (because after all I know he’d actually had a role in her mother’s murder, so he’s not exactly a great guy) and now the stupid man is going on about “A Christmas Carol”, and frankly I’m amazed Beckett hasn’t pulled her gun on him yet. I would have.
· Finally he’s beginning to get to the point, but when Beckett asks him outright who killed her mother, he’s all like “no, I can’t tell you yet, I need to give you backstory so you understand.” Seriously, WTF. Just freaking tell her, THEN explain!! Okay, so logically I know that if that had happened, it would screw up the entire plotline of the episode, but still. RAGLAN YOU ARE SO FRUSTRATING.
· And then BAM, he’s shot, and you’re like “Oh my god most frustrating thing ever.” Although it’s super cool to see Beckett switch immediately into supercop mode, being all awesome and stuff. Castle is just amazing, all adorable and terrified when he’s like “you’re hit!” Clearly, had she actually been shot, she wouldn’t have been going all ninja with her gun up and trying to see the shooter. But it’s like the moment he sees the blood on her, it scares him so badly that all logic and reason goes out the window. Which is just so cute.
· And only once he’s assured that she’s ok does he even notice Raglan lol. But I loved that he grabbed napkins and stuff to try to put pressure on the wounds. And then Raglan dies and the two of them share this look and you just want to hug them both. Especially Beckett because what seemed like her only way of finding her mother’s killer has now just been torn away from her, AGAIN. Seriously, talk about shit luck. But I really want to hug Castle too because he’s really not trained for this situation, and he’s pretty much just had a guy die in his arms. And there’s almost definitely a part of him thinking, “That could have been beckett.”
· Gah and Beckett has to call it in as a homicide and she just closes her eyes briefly and you get really frustrated by the fact that you can’t hug someone through the screen.
· And then the title comes on and you’re all like “Whaaa?” because you’ve been so INTO what was going on that you’d kind of forgotten you were watching a tv show, and you spend the duration of the title part going, “Holy crap,” and trying to remember how to breathe. Then the next scene begins and immediately you’re back into it and forget the title part ever happened.
· Montgomery is talking with Beckett but you can barely listen because you’re too busy staring at the bloodstain on her sweater, and then suddenly Ryan and Esposito are there in all their awesomeness, saying that they were with her, and putting their asses on the line for her because they’re just that adorable. And because they’re like her adorably protective brothers. They’re a little family, and it immediately reminds me of that time in Den of Thieves (yes, I know the episode titles, what of it?) where Beckett, Castle and Ryan all back Esposito up after he went with his old partner to steal the mobster’s book. Adorable team solidarity.
· And the captain is all like, yeah ok whatever, and just accepts it lol. And then he starts being all half-boss half-father-figure and it’s adorable. Especially when he says the line about her ‘running around the house with scissors’ lol. He clearly cares about Beckett (although really, who doesn’t??) and his concern is just so cute.
· And then there’s the whole thing with the cool laser and the bullet trajectory, and Ryan and Esposito waiting for her to give them their orders. They’re so solemn and professional and it’s just so sweet to see them really supporting her like that.
· Oh man and then she and Castle are talking and he says something about the blood on his hands and just gets this look. And you want to hug him all over again. Beckett understands and they’re sharing this deep little moment that makes you happy even though it’s so serious. And then he tells her that he initially thought she’d been shot and they share this heavy, silent look and you just about die. Then she suggests dropping him home but he immediately refuses and you’re just like “aaaww” because you know he really doesn’t want to leave her side, especially after the scare he’d just had. She seriously seems surprised but glad that he’ll be staying which just makes it even more of an awww moment.
· Back in the precinct Castle and Beckett just seem to be sitting together in silence which is kinda sweet, just like being there for each other without even touching or saying anything. And he’s wearing that adorable shirt which is so casual in comparison to how we usually see him. I love that shirt.
· They’re talking to Raglan’s friend now and my immediate impression of him is that he’s shifty. Looks like I was right to think that, too. And the bastard sends them off in the wrong direction, chasing after Simmons. Such a jerk.
· So Simmons is looking like a really good suspect now but it just seems too easy. (Well, because it is, but I didn’t know that when watching this the first time).
· The guy playing Simmons looks really familiar. He’s from something, I’m sure. And I know he’s playing a real slimy asshole but I actually like him lol. He’s entertaining. His comment about Beckett getting it on with some guy in the back of a car made me grin and want to hit him at the same time. I love Castle’s reaction- his concern and feelings for Beckett do seem to make him braver, and I was amused when Simmons said pretty much the same thing (how many people have told Beckett that Castle cares for her over the course of the show now? Like five? Six? I’m hoping that she’s been listening.)
· Simmons’ voice is fantastic. So deep. I like how he seems to think that Castle is the one who’s going to be taking him on lol. Obviously underestimating Beckett there. And then he gets all menacing, talking about her mother, and I just love the way she whispers a warning and Castle’s sitting there looking so cutely serious.
· And then she slams Simmons into the mirror and it’s just FANTASTIC. Geez, she may be slim, but there’s a lot of power there. It’s awesome. Ryan and Esposito are so funny, almost having to drag her off of him, and I love that even Castle wanted to take him on! Adorable.
· Montgomery chucks her off the case and it’s almost painful. Again you can totally see the whole half-boss half-father figure thing going on and I actually feel a little sorry for the man. But oh boy do I love seeing Beckett fired up.
· And then she just grabs her jacket and leaves, in a shot almost identical to the one where she takes herself off the case in Sucker Punch. I loved Castle calling after her, especially because he called her Kate J
· And then Ryan and Esposito try to turn down the case as a show of support for Beckett, which is just adorable. I love those two. But I’m glad the chief didn’t let them refuse the case, because they do such a good job at figuring it out
· And I love the Martha/Castle moment—not often we get to see Martha being a serious motherly type. And she makes a fair point about him tailing Beckett, but I just LOVE her for causing him to say that amazing line “It’s not about the books anymore.” Love that so much.
· Love Ryan and Esposito getting all serious because of how important this case is. They want so much to help Beckett, it’s just adorable.
· Arrgh and now Beckett’s in her apartment, crying, and it seriously makes me want to cry too. And yet she still looks so flawless, even with tears running down her face. How the hell she manages to do that is beyond me.
· This is seriously one of my favourite scenes. Castle showing up at her door with flowers, awwwww. And she seriously looks more gorgeous in this scene than she’s ever looked before, which, until I saw this scene I wouldn’t have thought possible. And she actually looks happy to see him, despite the fact that there are still sort of tears in her eyes (and I go off to cry in the corner again).
· And Josh isn’t there, which equals happiness for EVERYBODY. Seriously, that man is ridiculously good-looking, and apparently a life-saving humanitarian and all that, but he needs to GTFO and just leave Beckett and Castle alone. Castle is so adorable when giving her the flowers, seriously it’s just the cutest moment between those two lol, and I’m sooooo glad she invited him in!! They both seem so adorably glad to be with each other, I just want to flail and hug something at the same time.
· I LOVE her apartment by the way. Seriously, I want it. Way more than I want Castle’s loft. Her place is just awesome on every level.
· I also love the fact that he’s been in her place less than two minutes and already he’s made her smile so much. He’s just so sweet and adorable and totally irresistible. I have new respect for Beckett for managing to keep her hands off him for so damn long, because I seriously would have caved a looooong time ago.
· And she shows him her information on her mother’s case!! Which is something she hadn’t ever shared with the stupid pretty boy doctor. I love the look on Castle’s face when she admits that she hasn’t showed josh. He’s so happy that she’s allowing him, not josh, to see something that is such a private and important part of her life.
· And then she said that she started it while he was away in the Hamptons, and he gets this look on his face and there’s this tiny silence and you just KNOW that he’s regretting ever leaving. Seriously, I wanted to slap him when he walked off with Gina. But anyway, that’s all in the past.
· And then lol, Ryan and Esposito getting the fingerprint form the crazy lady, she made me laugh, but not as much as I laughed at the looks on Ryan and Esposito’s faces. Absolutely priceless.
· Naaww Castle and Beckett sitting together in her apartment, they’re just beyond adorable. I love that they’re so comfortable with each other. And then they find the pictures of the alley and there’s the whole realization that there was more to her mother’s case than she’d ever thought, and my god their expressions are just awesome. Such acting skills. And then Castle goes off to find the files for her, because he’s just that adorable.
· What I’m wondering though, is what happened to her dad being in this episode?? The promo pics showed Beckett, her dad, and Castle, all together in her apartment. I’m actually really sad we didn’t get to see that part. I bet Jim would like Castle J
· Ryan and Esposito seem to be doing a damn good job with the case, and I just want to high-five them for being so excellent. I love those two.
· Montgomery is being all concerned about Beckett and it’s just aww-worthy. And then he shows her the pictures that the shooter had been taking of her, and she’s taing it all coolly and calmly until she sees one with Castle in it and she’s suddenly all like, “We need to warn Castle”. Because protecting Castle is more important. Adorable.
· Lol at Ryan and Esposito interrogating the rich drug-dealing guy, they make such an awesome team! And lol at threatening the guy with a sex-offender named ‘Peppermint’ haha
· And now Castle’s back at Beckett’s apartment being all sweet and adorable and she’s trying to make him leave so he’ll be safe. I like that the reason they’re disagreeing at the moment is that each is trying to protect the other.
· And then she calls him Rick. And I died. And I just want to yell at him to tell her the truth goddammit!! And he gets SO CLOSE. But still, even though he didn’t say it out loud, I think she heard it anyway. Judging by her amazing look of realization which definitely caused a lot of flailing on my part.
· And then the whole thing where he says he’s her partner, just omg. She just looks at him and this tiny smile forms on her face and then you’re flailing all over again. They’ve been partners a long time but for her to finally admit to it- AND actually look happy about it- is just overwhelmingly adorable and amazing. Seriously, her face. It’s my favourite thing, ever. And yeah this scene is just amazing, totally another favourite.
· Aww man, emotional moment. They’re at the prison talking to the guy Raglan had wrongfully convicted, and talking about Beckett’s mother. So sad L but at least it’s a solid lead they can follow.
· I love watching Beckett interrogate. Seriously, it’s just hot. And I knew this guy was shifty! He really pisses me off. At least he gives them more information than Raglan did, but still, he won’t tell them who the person is that killed her mother. My guess is that it’s someone really high up in the police, like a Captain of one of the precincts or even someone higher up like the Commissioner or something.
· Finding Jolene- I love that when they see the door half-open, Beckett opens it with her forearm so she doesn’t leave any prints or mess up any prints that might be there. Little details like that are cool.
· Arrghh the sniper throws the grenade at Ryan and Esposito and I remember watching this for the first time and actually saying out loud, “Please be a flash-bang! Please be a flash-bang!” (Flash-bangs being a grenade that flashes blindingly bright and makes a really loud sound to temporarily blind and deafen you. Despite the fact I knew they would be fine later in the ep, somehow I was still really scared that it could be a real grenade and kill/seriously injure them both.
· Love Beckett’s face when she hears them get attacked over the phone. So concerned for her brothers! And haha, in the next scene she’s on the phone with the chief and he says that they were attacked using a flash-bang. There you go. I don’t remember him saying that last time I watched this, but it’s cool to have him confirm what I thought
· Castle and Beckett make such an awesome team, they’re just so good at figuring things out together (and finishing each other’s sentences lol, which I absolutely adore).
· I actually kinda like the sniper guy. He’s cool. Menacing. But I hate seeing Ryan and Esposito bound and on their knees. Especially Ryan, because though he can handle himself, he’s just so cute that you feel the urge to protect him. Love that the two of them are so defiant though, they’re totally not going to give in without a fight. They’re just awesome.
· Argh but I hate watching Ryan getting tortured. They were smart to torture him and not Esposito, because Esposito is totally protective of Ryan and is more likely to crack to stop them torturing him. But haha, I LOVED Ryan calling Lockwood “Ass-clown”, this is now my new favourite insult. Although, being Australian I just can’t get the pronunciation right, so it sounds nowhere near as cool.
· Oh how I love this scene. Castle and Beckett in the car, trying to figure out how to save Ryan and Esposito and knowing that they’ll have to do it without backup. I love that they’re both- especially Castle, with no weapon and no real training- willing to enter a building full of enemies in order to save their partners. It’s just epic and adorable on so many levels.
· And Castle’s dumb idea is seriously the BEST IDEA EVER. I loved this part more than I love Christmas and chocolate combined. THAT IS A LOT OF LOVE. The two of them are so ridiculously cute, and watching them pretend to be drunk is just beyond hilarious. And when she says “He’s not buying it, Castle,” her voice is just so girly and cute that it makes me want to grin for a long time.
· I bet lots of people have noticed this, but did you realize that the close-up of her going for the gun (and him pulling her hand away) is shot on the wrong side?? In the shot the gun is on the same side as the mobster guy, where he would be able to see it. Whereas she’s ACTUALLY wearing her gun on her right side, the side facing away from him. Just thought I’d mention it.
· Arghhhh and then he grabs her and she’s looking at him all like “what are you doing??” and then he kisses her and it is pure happiness. Watching it now with my headphones in, I can actually HEAR them kissing, ahhhh omg. And he tentatively puts his hand on her back and it’s just so adorable that I’m practically flailing in excitement.
· And then she pulls away, and oh my god, the look they share is just beyond amazing. And then she kisses him back and although she’s probably just doing it “as cover”, it REALLY doesn’t seem so. Not when she’s kissing him THAT enthusiastically and definitely not when she makes THAT moan (oh my god, that moan- highlight of the entire show so far?? Possibly.) Anyway yeah, we all know the kiss is amazing and I really can’t find words to describe it anyway so I’m just going to stop talking about it now (but omg, the way she had her arms around his neck…) right, stopping now.
· I loved the little chuckle from the guy that was watching them (personally I call him ‘Reggie’ because I think he looks like a Reggie and I had to name him for a fic I wrote), I think he was a cool character even though he was only in it so briefly. I actually felt sorry for him when Beckett took him out- that hit would have hurt!! Poor guy.
· Beckett’s face was so funny after she knocked him out- she seemed a little breathless (wonder why… haha) and her expression was just priceless when Castle said “that was amazing”. Such a hilarious little awkward moment, and I think they were both clearly affected by the kiss (lol at Castle putting his hands to his lips)
· Omg, totally Esposito’s best line ever- “The cops already know all about…. Me and your mom.” And I just loved the fact that Ryan laughed when he said it, those two are just awesome. And adorable. Have I said that already? Maybe once or twice. Haha
· And then they’re going to shoot out Ryan’s kneecap and I’m like “Noooooo!!!” You don’t have to be a doctor to know that getting shot in the kneecap would cost him his career, and plus, no one likes to se Ryan get hurt. He’s just too cute.
· And Beckett to the rescue!! She’s freaking epic, taking on like 5 armed guys all on her own. And in those fantastic high heels, too. She kills one of the guys and as he falls, his gun goes off and almost hits Esposito. Like seriously, just misses him. I didn’t notice that the first time. That was scary.
· Argghh and now Lockwood’s got Beckett in his sights, and the music is getting even more intense and everything is just epic. I love the shot where we’re seeing through the sniper scope and Beckett turns to look at him just as he’s about to fire- so intense!!!
· And then Castle dives on him and starts laying into him, and it’s AWESOME!! Again, this totally untrained guy, taking on a professionally trained fighter to save Beckett’s life. So, in general I don’t approve of violence, but I have to admit, there’s just something so cool (and sorta sexy) about a guy getting violent to protect the woman he loves. So I loved seeing Castle do this.
· And Beckett comes over and she’s so understanding and it’s just awww-ness. I’ve lost track of how many times he’s saved her life now (was that the fourth?) and she’s saved his a bunch of times and they’re just so adorable. I kind of like to think that if someone saves your life they then sort of “own” a little bit of your life, so Castle and Beckett much own each other completely by now haha
· I loved her climbing up into the ambulance to sit with him, and her voice when she calls him ‘Chuck Norris’- argh, just amazing. This scene is one of my favourites as well (Knockdown supplied SO MANY amazing scenes, seriously there wasn’t a single part of it that wasn’t great) because it’s just so sweet and adorable. She fixes up his bandage and I can’t help but grin like an idiot. It’s such a sweet, intimate moment, and they’re just so goddamn cute together. And when he says “Always”- oh my god, I quite simply just died. I love the fact that they don’t need to say much at all to communicate a hell of a lot J
· Beckett talking to Lockwood in the prison is soooo cool, just another scene that shows how epic she is. She doesn’t get angry, she’s just patiently threatening which is so cool and pretty damn hot. I also love the music, “Rise” by the Frames- simply an awesome song. And yeah, I think the writers were really clever with how they worked it, so now they can come back to this storyline anytime they want, just by having Lockwood tell who hired him. But seriously, I have a suspicion he’ll be killed in prison if they’re not careful.
Anyway, that’s my views on Knockdown. And my god it’s long! I didn’t intend this to be so huge. Oh well. Sorry.